Friday 12 September 2014

Coffee & Pecan Cupcakes

Cupcake!
 So! The Recipe! Well. I packed up all the cupcakes and sent them off... And then I made some more. Because I wanted cupcakes and there were none left. And guess what? This time, I made the coffee chocolate crème before I began with the cupcakes, and it thickened and set beautifully! And these cupcakes were much, much more yummier! For the first batch of cupcakes, I used the step-by-step Butter-and-sugar, then eggs, then flour and flavours method, but for the second batch, I used the all in one method, and I was done so much quicker. Also, For the first batch, because the crème did not set enough (I lack patience), I mixed in extra blitzed nuts. Today, I didn't bother, because there was no need. I did, however, add extra into the cake mixture to balance the coffee, and to make up for the lack of nuts in the crème. I also used a Philadelphia/cream icing for the top today, which is much smoother, and tasted better (I think, anyway), so I'll mention that recipe, however, if you do want to use the mascarpone-cream frosting recipe, head over to my Tiramisu cupcakes post, and you'll find that recipe there.
(Also, the coffee-chocolate crème recipe and idea is shamelessly stolen from the episode of Sweets Made Simple by Kitty Hope and Mark Greenwood) (I have no regrets.)

COFFEE AND PECAN CUPCAKES
Makes approximately 18

INGREDIENTS:
FOR THE CAKE:
4oz Baking butter
4oz Caster sugar
4oz Self-Raising Flour
1tsp Baking powder
3oz Pecans, Blitzed
3tsp Instant coffee, dissolved in 2tsp boiling water
2oz Grated dark chocolate
2tsp Vanilla extract

FOR THE COFFEE CREME:
4tbsp Coffee and Chicory essence
3tbsp Cold water
2tbsp Light soft brown sugar
100g Milk chocolate, broken into pieces.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
142ml Double/whipping cream
140g Philadelphia
1tsp Vanilla extract
Icing sugar to sweeten.

METHOD:
FOR THE COFFEE CREME:
  1. Place coffee and chicory in a small saucepan. Add in the water and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring. lower the heat and let simmer for 1 minute.
  2. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate, whisking until melted and well combined.
  3. Let it cool slightly, and then place into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, until thickened and set slightly.
FOR THE CAKE:
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, chocolate and pecans. Add in butter, eggs, vanilla extract and coffee, and beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes, until well combined.
  2. Divide into cupcake cases, putting in enough batter so that they're 3/4 full.
  3. Bake on Gas Mark 5 (Moderately hot) for 15-18 minutes, until they have risen well and the skewer comes out clean.
  4. Leave to cool.
  5. Once cooled, carefully cut a circle into the top of each cake. Lift out gently and place a spoonful of crème into each, replacing with the cut out cake. Press in gently. (It may ooze out a little, but that doesn't matter, it'll get covered with the frosting.)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
  1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir gently until combined. Whisk in medium/high speed until thickened. It will still have a slightly soft consistency. Do not over whip, as it may split.
  2. Place in a piping bag with a star nozzle, and pipe over each cupcake.
  3. Decorate cupcakes with whole pecans, dust with cocoa, or leave plain. It's up to you, really, whatever suits your fancy.
This process may seem slightly lengthy, but its worth it, I swear. The whole process, took me two hours- more or less- from start to finish, including clean up, breakfast, and various other chores. Making the frosting whilst the cakes are cooking saves time, and the best thing is, you don't need to let the cakes cool completely before filling them with the crème, and by the time you're done doing that, they're cooled enough for the frosting, because the crème is chilled enough to cool the cupcake.
I think cupcakes make such wonderful wedding favours, don't you?

They remind me of 99p flake ice-cream cones for some reason.
(My blogger is messing up again. It's not letting me add any pictures. I'll try again later. However, you can find picures on my Instagram page, @emmyjay19 , and on my twitter page, @MyraJay7 if you wish.)
EDIT: Ok, pictures working again.

No comments:

Post a Comment